Together we will make beauty sustainable. Together we will make sustainability beautiful.
We want to bring beauty to all people. Beauty expresses itself in many ways. We believe in the beauty of protecting the environment and biodiversity, the beauty of supporting communities and providing security for employees, the beauty of delivering desirable and sustainable products for women and men who trust in us.
COMMITMENTS AND TARGETS
By 2020, we will innovate so that 100% of products have an environmental or social benefit.
Every time we invent or update a product, we will improve its environmental or social profile against at least one of the following criteria:
- The new formula reduces the environmental footprint.
- The new formula uses renewable raw materials that are sustainably sourced or raw materials derived from Green chemistry.
- The new packaging has an improved environmental profile.
- The new product has a positive social impact.
By 2020, we will reduce our environmental footprint by 60% from a 2005 baseline whilst bringing beauty to one billion new consumers.
- We will reduce CO2 emissions at our plants and distribution centres by 60% in absolute terms, from a 2005 baseline.
- We will reduce our water consumption by 60% per finished product unit, from a 2005 baseline.
- We will reduce waste by 60% per finished product unit, from a 2005 baseline.
- We will send zero waste to landfill.
- We will reduce our CO2 emissions from transportation of products by 20% per finished product unit from a 2011 baseline.
By 2020, we will empower every L’Oréal consumer to make sustainable consumption choices while enhancing the beauty of the planet.
- We will use a product assessment tool to evaluate the environmental and social profile of 100% of new products, and all brands will make this information available to allow consumers to make sustainable lifestyle choices.
- All L’Oréal brands will assess where they have the biggest environmental and social impact, and make commitments to improve their footprint. Every brand will report on its progress and raise awareness among consumers about sustainable lifestyle choices.
- Our consumers will be able to influence our sustainability actions through our consumer sustainability panel.
By 2020, L’Oréal employees will have access to health care, social protection and training, wherever they are in the world.
- We will provide health coverage for employees which is aligned with the best practice of the country they are based in.
- We will provide financial protection for all employees if unexpected life events such as incapacity or permanent disability occur.
- Every L’Oréal employee will have access to at least one training session per year wherever they are in the world.
By 2020, 100% of our strategic suppliers will be participating in our supplier sustainability programme.
- All strategic suppliers will be evaluated and selected on social and environmental performance.
- All strategic suppliers will have completed a self-assessment of their sustainability policy with our support.
- All suppliers will have access to L’Oréal training tools to improve their sustainability policies.
- 20% of strategic suppliers will be associated with our Solidarity sourcing programme.
By 2020, we will enable more than 100,000 people from underprivileged communities, equivalent to the size of our global workforce, to access work
- We will achieve our goal through programmes in the following areas.
- Solidarity sourcing.
- Inclusive distribution.
- Beauty professionalisation.
- Mentoring and community education.
- Employment of disabled people and under-represented socioethnic groups.